Saturday, April 10, 2010

jane austen's only human, i guess:(

hi all...i finished jane austen's letters.....some of them were quite bitchy.....but i guess all there was for women to talk about back then were other people and fashion....got quite sick of all the clothes directions.....oh well.....she seemed to keep herself occupied & was obviously fond of her family.....it's not a novel, but let's give it ***

I'm reading the book thief finally (i think dianne recommended it to me over a year ago)....i really like. it's so well written...it's a bit weird having death as the narrator though.

ps - i miss hermione lots...bring on the cool female protagonists! (did i spell that right?)

5 comments:

  1. hey sheri!

    'the brief and wonderous life of oscar wao' was a really good read and i finally got around to reading 'slaughterhouse five' which is brilliant. (the name's pretty misleading too, it's a lot nicer than it sounds.) also 'never let me go' by kazuo ishaguro is one of the best books i've read in a long time but it's also pretty heavy/sad. it's being made into a movie getting released around the end of this year so read it now for maximum smug potential!

    way to blog!

    catchya,
    andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the middle of The Book Thief. Almost finished. I don't really like it though. I can recognise how well written it is, and how unique it is to have death as the narrator, but its never realy captured me. I'm so close to the end, but i still haven't picked it up for 2 weeks. I don't know what's wrong with me because everyone else says how good it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you should say that mary! I just read it and loved it! But you're right - very sad.

    Andy - I really wanna read slaughterhouse five because they talk about it in footloose - kevin bacon loves it and the crazy townsfolk disapprove!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you were blogging this.

    I'm sure I recommended the "His Dark Materials" trilogy when you started this. If you can find it, it will certainly scratch the strong female protagonist itch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey brendan, you did recommend that awesome trilogy & i've already read it:) i loved it:)

    ReplyDelete